This is a solo project where I used simplex noise to generate terrain. The generator can create four types of land features: mountains, planes, hills, and canyons.
This game was made in five weeks using C# in Unity.
Some (Semi-)Technical Details:
- To avoid lag, I split the terrain into smaller chunks and generated these chunks in separate frames.
- I used object pooling for the terrain chunks to minimize heap allocations.
- I shared objects (arrays Unity needs to assign meshes new vertices, normals, etc.) between all the terrain chunks to minimize the amount of RAM used in general.
- All these optamizations made it possible to run the game in WebGL without eventually hitting the memory limit.
- I also made a simple state machine for fun. It controls the behavior of the flowers.